Kellogg’s have given our best-selling cereal Special K a “flakeover”!
For the first time in 30 years they have changed the recipe of their shape watching favourite – making it look and taste more wholesome.
Special K is now made with wholegrain (three to be exact – wheat, rice and barley) and is also a source of fibre and contains 8 vitamins and iron. The new cereal will start appearing in stores from the end of April.
Some facts about Special K:
- Special K was launched in the UK in 1959 and started life as a high protein health cereal – originally aimed at men as a healthier alternative to a fry up
- Special K is made at Kellogg’s factory in Wrexham, North Wales
- Today Special K and its sister website www.myspecialk.co.uk focus on longer term weight management and offering calorie controlled meal plans
- Watch out for K’s famous “Special K girl” in red – she appears in many Special K TV adverts
- The best known K girl is TV presenter and DJ Lisa Snowdon
- A 30g serving of Special K provides at least 50% of the recommended daily allowance of thiamin, niacin, vitamin B6, riboflavin, vitamin B12, folic acid, vitamin C and vitamin D; and 25% of iron.
- In 2012 Special K launched its first savoury snack with Special K Cracker Crisps
- Globally the brand is worth $1.7bn, in the UK it is a £140m brand.
- Famous Special K fans include Lady Gaga and HRH the Queen!
The lovely people at Kelloggs are offering one of my readers a case of the new recipe Special K to try!!