One of the most rewarding things that you can do in the year ahead is to start a garden. A garden is the perfect place to relax, to rest and just to be sometimes, and it’s a beautiful way to give back to the ecosystem around you. Starting a garden – whether florals or veggies – gives you a whole new hobby and a way to get your hands dirty, but it doesn’t have to be complicated.
You can garden at your own pace, and you can make starting your garden manageable, too. You need to make a list of all the things that you need, like grass seed for lawns, landscaping and more to get your garden from a space behind your house to something beautiful to sit in. there are steps that you need to get your garden up and running and these include the following:
- Consider what you should plant in your space. Your garden is your space to do whatever, but you could theme your garden. Herbs, veggies and fruit, flowers, succulents – there are a lot of options. If you choose to go with planting foods, then this could be a good way that you can decide to plant things that you want to eat and use. You have a lot of time to be creative with this one, so plan ahead!
- Pick the right spot. Before you plant anything, map out your garden and get to know the best places in your garden to plant everything. There are a range of plants and foods that need a specific amount of sunshine all day long. Map out the best spots in the garden that are exposed to sunshine and literally draw up a planting plan of where you want everything to go.
- Get the ground cleared. You can do this or you can hire a landscaping service to do it for you. However, you need to get the ground cleared of all weeds, roots and more so that you can get planting and laying your grass seed. Use the right tools like spades, forks and rakes to make sure that you have enough space and room to plant everything you want to plant.
- Test the soil. There is no point in planting anything into dead soil, right? Learn more about your soil with a soil test before you get started, and you can ensure that you are able to plant the way that you want to plant.
- Get the beds prepared. Loosening the soil in the flower beds is so important if you want to get your garden started. You want the roots to grow more easily and accessing water and nutrients is vital. Preparing the beds is going to help you to grow healthy plants and flowers. Either way, working the soil will be one of the most important things that you do in the garden process.
Starting your own garden is going to be something that you do to make your whole back yard flourish. Start with the essentials and go from there.